Beans and Plantain Recipe: Also known as Beans and Dodo; this is a healthy and very popular beans recipes, especially in Nigeria and West African regions. Dodo means plantains (fried or roasted) in Nigeria. Hungryng brings to you the simple preparation guide on how to make beans and plantain. This delicious beans porridge dish is served fried plantain, and its packed with flavours!
Ingredients For Beans And Plantain (Dodo) Recipe
- Black eyed beans or Brown beans (desired quantity)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Minced ginger and garlic
- Palm oil (enough to colour)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crayfish *optional
- Seasoning (Maggi or Knorr)
- Ripped plantains
- Vegetable oil for frying
Preparation Of Beans And Plantain
- Wash and soak the beans in cold water for 1 hour. Boil the beans for 5 minutes and discard the water. Then put the beans in a cooking pot and pour water up to the level of the beans and start cooking. Cook until they are soft and pulpy. Add more water from time to time, if needed.
- When the beans if cooked soft (make sure the water is below the beans), this allows it to make beans porridge. Add palm oil, stir sliced onion, garlic, and ginger. Add seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Also add crayfish (if using it).
- Stir it well to mix all ingredients. Cover pot and allow to cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Peel the plantains, and cut into diagonal pieces. Season with a bit of salt. Heat oil and when it is hot, fry the plantain in batches. Toss them to ensure both sides are evenly fried. When they are all brown, remove and drain in kitchen paper to reduce excess oil. Serve.
Serve beans porridge with the fried plantain (dodo). Additionally, it can be served fried yam or fried sweet potatoes.
You might also be interested in: Recipe & Tips: How To Prepare Stir-Fry Noodles With Veggies
What do you think about our Beans and Dodo (Fried Plantain) recipe? Have we missed anything? Add your contributions in the comments section below. If you find this interesting, share it with your friends using any of the buttons below.