Yam and Catfish Pepper Soup: Looking for new ideas for creating your own healthy dinner homemade recipes? Try easy Nigerian cuisine catfish pepper soup recipe paired with yam. Spice up fresh catfish local seasonings and spices and serve with boiled yam. This no-hassle pepper soup homemade recipes is packed with spices and can be on the table in under half an hour. Delicious and full of mouthwatering flavour, spice up your catfish with a few scent leaves, garlic and local pepper soup and fish seasonings for the perfect healthy dinner.
Ingredients For Yam & Catfish Pepper Soup
- Fresh catfish
- Half tuber of yam
- A handful ground crayfish
- Seasoning cubes (Maggi/Knorr)
- Ground nutmegs
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Garlic and ginger, crushed
- Uziza powder
- A few scent leaves
- Salt to taste
We also recommend Chicken Pepper Soup with Unripe Plantain
Preparation of Yam and Catfish Pepper Soup
- Prepare the catfish – wash and cut the catfish into chunks slices. Boil some hot water and pour on the pieces of fish, stir and remove immediately. This removes the sliming, dirts and toughens the skin of the fish so that it does not fall apart during cooking.
- Prepare the yam – wash and cut the yam into chunks slices. Put yam pieces in a pot and season with salt, and bring to boil on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Drain water from the yam, set aside.
- Place the pieces of fish in a pot and pour water to just cover the fish, add the semi-cooked yam. Add stock cubes, crushes/chopped garlic and ginger, and bring to the boil.
- Once it starts to boil add the ground nutmegs, scotch bonnet pepper, uziza powder, onion slices, crayfish, and scent leaves – and continue cooking.
- Feel your soup is thicker than you want? You can add some more water and bring it to boil before turning off the heat.
- Once the yam and catfish are done, add salt to taste and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes. Your pepper soup is ready. Remove from the heat and serve hot. Enjoy!