Homemade Recipes – How To Cook Okra Soup: This is a very popular delicacy in west Africa and widely enjoyed by Nigerians. It is a very rich delicacy made with vegetables and other ingredients. Here is the recipe, but this time with a twist – extra flavour coming from assorted meat sauce. This is a rich Nigerian cuisine – a favorite amongst many!
View this post on Instagram
Homemade fufu with okro and assorted meat stew. 🌶🌶🌶 Special recognition to @omojaiyeola for the authentic ponmo Ijebu. 👌🏾If you happen to need some also and you are here in the U.K., just dm her. She will surely perform! #lunch #lunchidea #fufu #okro #shakionigbawe #ponmo #ponmoijebu #goatmeat #homemade #moteeskitchen
You might also be interested in: Recipe & Tips: How To Make Thieboudienne (Senegalese Fish and Rice)
Ingredients – Okra Soup Recipe
- Fresh Okra (finely chopped or use grater)
- Palm oil
- Fresh fish (cleaned and prepared)
- Dry Fish (stock fish, local dried fish)
- Fresh or dried prawns
- Maggi or Knorr cubes
- Hot pepper
- Ground crayfish
- Nigerian pumpkin leaves (or spinach)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation – Okra Soup Recipe
- Place pot on medium heat, add very little water, cover and bring to a boil.
- Add fish (fresh, dried, stock fish), and prawns. Season with the bouillons cubes and allow to cook for about 15 minutes till fish is tender.
- Add crayfish powder, palm oil, maggi, pepper. Stir and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes
- Add in chopped okra, and stir – taste and adjust for Seasoning. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Ingredients – Assorted Meat Sauce
- Assorted Meats (1kg or more, depending on how big you cooking)
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 8 big tomatoes, sliced
- 3 scotch bonnet (hot pepper)
- Tomato paste
- Vegetable oil
- Chicken or beef seasoning of your choice
- Curry powder
- Maggi or Knorr cubes
- Minced ginger and garlic
- Salt to taste
Preparation – Assorted Meat Sauce
- Clean and wash the meat thoroughly. Cut the meat into bite sizes and place into a pot. Season with thyme, ginger, garlic, onion, maggi/knorr cubes, curry. Add chicken or beef seasoning. Bring to heat and boil till the meat its tender. Add salt to taste, and stir every now and then to make sure all the ingredients soak in the meat. Boil the meat with little water, the steam will do the rest.
- Pour in the thyme and curry; then chop in the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Pour in the blended tomato mix and fry in the oil until the oil has floated to the top or until a little dark. Pour in the pepper sauce. Add in the meats along with the meat stock and stir to combine. Check for seasonings and let the meat sock up the juices from the sauce. (drain off any excess oil) Stir in half of the green onion and serve the meat with the other half as a topping
- Roughly blend together; tomatoes, pepper, onion, ginger and garlic.
- In a big frying pan and heat up on medium, add vegetable oil, put in sliced onions and fry for about 2 mins. Then pour in the blended ingredients and fry together. Stir it up every now and then in order to fry evenly. Taste for salt and pepper; adjust to taste.
- Drain water from the cooked meat if any. Now combine the meat with the sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes. Don’t add water, let it cook with the meat and sauce juice
Serving: dish okra soup in a plate, add meat sauce on top. Serve with Semolina, fufu, garri or pounded yam . Enjoy!
What do you think? Have you eaten okra soup before? Add your contributions in the comments section below.
If you find this interesting, share it with your friends using any of the buttons below.