This is a very delightful meat that’s ideal for braising in a slow cooker – amped up with a few Nigerian local spicing ingredients to give that rich flavours which African cuisines are known for. Here’s the recipe on how to make the oxtail pepper soup – Nigerian cow tail pepper soup recipe.
- Oxtail (excess fat removed)
- Fresh hot peppers, thinly sliced
- Fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 big onion, sliced
- Garlic and ginger, grated
- Ground crayfish
- Mint/scent leaves
- Peppersoup spice mix
- Seasoning cubes (Maggi/Knorr)
- *Nigerian local spice seeds 2 ehuru seeds (toasted, and finely ground).
- 2 uda pods (toasted, and roughly crushed)
- Wash meat and fish thoroughly. Use warm water and salt to get off the slime. Get rid of excess fat and unwanted bits.
- Place the oxtail in a large cooking pot – season with ginger, garlic, onion, thyme, seasoning cubes and salt. Cover pot, place on low heat and leave to simmer without water for about 10 minutes. This allows the meat to release its natural juices and flavour.
- After the 10 minutes, add the sliced fresh peppers and tomatoes. add enough water to cover just above the meat. From now till cooking is done. Cook for about 45 minutes to an hour, adding more water as required to level up, until the meat is tender.
- Add peppersoup spice mix, crayfish, ehuru and uda seeds, and scent leaves. Taste for salt and seasoning – adjust if necessary. Cook further for additional 20 minutes.
Serve hot and enjoy! Pair with any side dish of choice. So, delicious, so satisfying!
See more Food recipes