Crispy and moist Meat Pie – a spectacular African snack. This is a kind of snack made with dough, minced meat, potato and carrot filling. This is a very popular Nigerian snack, but also a global tasty treat. Read on to learn how to make the ultimate meat pie recipe.
Ingredients for Meat Pie
Meat Pie dough
- Plain Flour (all-purpose flour)
- Baking Powder
- Brown sugar
- Salt to taste
Meat Pie filling
- Sweet potatoes
- Vegetable oil
- Ground/minced meat
- Minced garlic
- Carrot, chopped
- Plain flour
- Seasoning cubes (Maggi or Knorr)
- Fresh eggs
- Salt to taste
- Use hand or food processor to mix together flour salt, sugar, butter blend well. Add the egg, milk in small amounts – mix until well combined and dough holds together in a soft ball.
- Place the dough on a well-floured surface. Divide it into 2 and roll it out.
- Using a large cup opening or bowl about cut out circles by gently pressing on the dough and releasing it, shaping the meat pie dough. Repeat till all dough has been cut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
filling the pie
- Add little oil to a sauce pan, followed by chopped onion, garlic, chopped carrot. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add ground meat and continue cooking for about 10 minutes. Put salt to taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Remove from stove top and let it cool.
Assembling and baking the pie
- Preheat oven on 350 degrees.
- Use spoon to scoop a heaping of the filling into each dough circle.
- Using brush, rub the beaten egg on the inside edge of the cut meat pie dough.
- Fold one part of the dough to meet the other end – press with fingers gently to seal the edges of the meat pie. OR seal by pressing the tines of a fork along the edges of the dough.
- Carefully place each pie on a baking sheet to bake or you may freeze to use later.
- Set the tray in the preheated oven and bake for about 20-30 minutes. Depending on your kind of oven, you may need to turn the pies over at some point to allow them cook on both sides. Bake until edges are lightly golden brown on the outside.
See more Food recipes