Ugali and Sukuma Wiki is an amazing combination of local cuisines of the African Great Lakes region and Southern Africa. Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
- White, yellow or brown cornmeal (or cassava flour, millet flour)
Preparation: Ugali Recipe
- Boil water in a cooking pot.
- Reduce heat to low, constantly stir with a whisk and slowly add the cornmeal to the boiling water.
- The ugali will begin to thicken, continue cooking on low heat, keep stirring with a turner, until the ugali its finely done. Turn it out onto a serving plate. The ugali will get little firmer as it cools off.
Ingredients: Sukuma Wiki
- Fresh Kale (or with green vegetables available to you)
- Fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Large onion, sliced
- Seasoning cubes (maggi/Knorr)
- Ground coriander seeds
- Vegetable oil
- Ground cumin
- Ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method: Sukuma Wiki
- Chop the kale into rough pieces, including the ribs, also roughly chop the tomatoes. Peel and slice onion.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep pot, and stir fry the onions with cumin, coriander, and turmeric on medium heat till translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, and stir fry with the onions, oil, and spices.
- Season with seasoning cubes and allow to simmer, then add salt and pepper, stir and taste – adjust accordingly.
- When they have all been added, sprinkle the salt and a generous amount of fresh pepper over them and stir.
- Add little water, cover the pot and turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 15 minutes (depending on how fresh you like your vegetables done).
Serve hot with your favorite meat, garnished with extra tomato and lemon juice, if desired!
See more Food recipes