This is a classic South Asian homemade recipe. Nadan chicken curry is a mouthwatering dish from Kerala, India. Add this to your dinner recipes – very flavorful and thick! Let’s show you how to make it.
- Fresh lemon squeeze (optional)
- Red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Masala powder
- Pepper powder
- Cleaned and cut chicken
- Spices to roast and grind with enough water
- ½ coriander seeds
- Cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- Pepper corn
- Fennel seeds
- Coconut oil
- 4 big sliced onions
- Ginger garlic paste
- 3/4 cup of thin coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 red chili (break and remove the seeds)
- 3 to 4 pearl onions sliced thinly
- Fresh curry leaves
Recipe Tips: this is an indian recipe – so its possible that some of the ingredients on there is not available and accessible in our African markets. Please, feel free to improvise, localise, and adapt this recipe to African vibes.
Preparation of Kerala Chicken Curry
- Marinate chicken with the marinating ingredients and set aside for about 30-40 minutes.
- Dry roast all the spices mentioned under to roast. Once cool, add water and grind to a smooth paste.
Making kerala chicken curry
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, add onions and fry till they turn translucent
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off
- Add chicken and fry on a high flame for about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the grinded spice mix. Mix well. Cover and cook stirring in-between.
- Pour the coconut milk. Mix well. When the coconut milk begins to bubble, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Check salt and pepper for taste
- Heat a pan with coconut oil and fry onions till they pink, add curry leaves and red chili. Stir together and pour into the kerala chicken curry
See more Food recipes