Looking to make a Nigerian soup? Get started with our Nigerian okro soup step-by-step recipe. So easy to prepare and extremely delicious, rich in nutrients and its inexpensive! Okro soup is one of the easiest Nigerian soup recipes.
- Fresh okro, diced or grated
- Fresh ugu/pumpkin leaves (spinach as substitute)
- Ground hot pepper
- Beef, cut in bits
- Soft kpomo, cut in bits
- King prawns
- Smoked fish
- Dried fish
- Ground crayfish
- Seasoning cubes (Maggi/Knorr)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cook the beef in water with onion slices, seasoning cubes and salt till it is done. Then add the ponmo to the pot and top up with some water. Bring to boil.
- Add the crayfish then the smoked fish and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper and periwinkles (if using). Cook some more. Add seasoning cubes and adjust salt to taste.
- Then add prawns, cover pot and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Now add diced okro and vegetables, stir well. Cover pot and allow to simmer.
- Serve with eba (garri), or swallow of choice.
See more Food recipes